Saturday, November 15, 2008

"Why Don't You Give Jesus A Try" Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road - a review (From the October issue of "Bluegrass Virginia" the newsletter)

image

Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road’s latest project, an all Gospel CD, entitled “Why Don’t You Give Jesus A Try” begins with an in-your-face Banjo solo by Ben Greene and from there things only get better.   That first song is “I Like The Old Time Way” and I was thinking to myself, “Well, how about that,
Lorraine’s done the old song we used to play during my earlier days in the music.”  This isn’t the song I remember with that title, but it sure is a good one.  I particularly like the four part way they sing the lines of
the chorus.  That kind of singing isn’t easy, but Lorraine and band make seem natural as breathing.  The second song, “ The Judgement Day” was penned by Lorraine and has the feel of one of the old spiritual
songs from deep south.  This song is also sang with many members of the band singing different parts of the chorus seamlessly.  “Harp With Golden Strings” begins with a guitar break reminiscent of the old Scruggs work in the early days of Flatt & Scruggs, however as you listen you soon learn there is much more there. 
My guess is that “Harp With Golden Strings” comes from the Southern Gospel tradition, as it has that feel.  The fourth song, softly sung and played, “Smiling Faces,” is also from the pen of Lorraine.  “Smiling Faces” speaks of the many orphans across the world that, although they have no parents and live in squalor, their faces continue to smile as they wish for a new home.  This is a most touching song that, I’m sure,
comes from a special place in Lorraine’s heart.  Tom T. & Dixie Hall wrote “It’s Time To Give Jesus A Try” that simply pleads for us who find we really aren’t happy in our lives to give Jesus a try.  At this point
I would like to tell you that I am not familiar enough with this version of Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road to know who the singers are.  I can tell you there is more than one lead singer.  They all have very strong voices, but I simply can’t tell which one sings lead on what song, except, since Lorraine is the only woman in the group I can tell you she sings lead on the sixth song here, “Just A Little Talk With Jesus.” 
And, my oh my, what a fine job she does.  This great song, written by Cleavant Derrick, is one of my favorites on the CD, and personally one I have always enjoyed singing and playing. 

“Just over In The Gloryland” is up next and the band performs it in the classic style.  A fine job.  Song number eight is a great old Certain & Stacey song, “Let The Church Roll On.”  The lead guitar work in “Let The Church Roll On”  is great.  Too many times guitarists try to show us every thing they know in one break, but the Travis styled guitar breaks here are tastefully full, without clutter.  Fine work!    “I Saw The Light Come Down” is a traditional tune, here arranged by Josh Goforth, with a fine high lead and call and repeat styled chorus
lines, this is a great song.  Since Josh arranged this song I have to believe his is the high lead voice.  The tenth song on “Why Don’t You Give Jesus A Try” is “In The Sweet Forever,” again led off with  the fine Travis styled lead guitar and that wonderful multi-part singing throughout the song.  I believe Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road have found their niche in Gospel singing.  This call-response and multi-part
singing is a rare thing in today’s newer styles of music.  It is a welcome look back at the older styles; the styles that brought many of us to Bluegrass and Bluegrass Gospel.  “You Gotta Believe” features the Dobro of guest artist, Rick Keen.  The longest song on the project, it is so well done and meaningful that it seems over before it begins.  The last cut on “Why Don’t You Give Jesus A Try” is a rare commodity on an all Gospel recording.  It’s an instrumental!  It features the fine Banjo work of Ben Greene and the Fiddle of
Josh Goforth. 

I have only one complaint about Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road’s “Why Don’t You Give Jesus A Try.”  The CD did not include information as to who was singing what parts or who played the various instruments on each song.  I’ve grown accustomed to having this information.  As I sit and listen
to a CD, especially the first listening, I like to read to liner notes and see who’s doing what on each song.  I could only guess here.  The members of Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road are: Lorraine Jordan on
Mandolin, Jerry Butler on Guitar, Josh Goforth on Fiddle & Guitar, Ben Greene on Banjo and Todd Mead on Acoustic Bass.  While at the PreddyFest Bluegrass Festival I chanced by Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road’s CD table and she handed me this CD and simply said, “I hope you enjoy it.”  I have hundreds of CDs and this one got shoved into the pile until just this week when I was looking for another CD and came upon this one.  I opened it and put in the player and, well, I was thoroughly impressed.  The professionalism of each song and the blend of old and new songs are what I look for in a project.  I love new songs, but I also love to hear how bands present the older songs.  Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road’s “Why Don’t You Give Jesus A Try” comes highly recommended by me.  Pick one up soon!

1 comment:

tomr said...

I bought this cd in the summer when she was at Rockahoc. they put on a great set and the cd is just as good.
I might suggest that all give it a try.
T