Monday, May 2, 2011

Lynn Morris - She's Back! At Least For One Performance

Copy of DSC03529           Yes, Lynn Morris was back for a standing room only, crowd pleasing performance as part of the "84th Annual Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival's, Bluegrass Festival"  this past Sunday, May 1st, 2011.   Not only was Lynn back, she was reunited with her band of eight years ago.  With her husband, Marshall Wilborn, on Bass; Ron Stewart on Banjo & Fiddle; Tom Adams on Guitar and Jesse Brock on Mandolin, The Lynn Morris Band was, once again, on stage.

Eight years ago Lynn had a rather simple knee surgery which led to a blood clot causing a debilitating stroke.  Lynn's main affectation from the stroke was "aphasia" which was described by Lynn's teacher as the inability to understand people talking to her and at the same time not being able to speak in words that anyone could understand; nor could she write or read as the words all seemed foreign.  Her mind was fine and intact, but she lost the ability to speak, let alone sing.  She was trapped within herself.  Imagine the frustration she must have felt.   Lynn has struggled and worked very hard to regain her speech and the ability to sing.  There is more work to do, but she wowed us all with her savvy and strength.  I wish I had the ability to include a video sample of her music in this blog, but I do not have the know-how to make that happen.  Instead here are a few more pictures from Sunday's concert.

Copy of DSC03518

DSC03516

Copy of DSC03520

Copy of DSC03525

Allow me to add a few personal thoughts.  I have followed Lynn Morris since long before she was the leader of her own band.  Her contributions to an earlier band, Whetstone Run, were wonderful and attracted my attention to, what at that time was rare, a great female Bluegrass performer and singer.  After following her career so closely, I was not about to miss this great, one time (I sure hope not!), performance.  At the very end of the show, Lynn was left standing center stage and threw the crowd a kiss, but I know she was actually throwing that kiss to me.  I mean, who else could it have been?

"NUFF SAID!"

1 comment: