Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2011!!!!

Yes, I know it's been a long time since I've written anything and I apologize for not keeping you informed, as I should.  I've been going through some minor health problems and have decided that I must control my type II diabetes. 

Back about 4 or 5 months ago I went to bed feeling fine and woke up with my right ear all plugged up.  There was drainage, but I simple could not get it to clear.  I made many trips to my ENT and was treated for fungal infections and bacterial infections separately and even in tandem, but that ear seemed to fill more and more and hearing went to almost nothing in that ear.  Intuitively, I suspected I knew what I had to do to get this ear cleared up.  As long as my diabetes was running wild and out of control it would never get well.  Soooo, I went to my family doctor, who happens to be a very pleasant and attractive young nurse practitioner.  Her smiles are radiant and hey, we guys are pretty easy.  Turns out my sugar was higher than I even thought.  My A1C (you diabetics know what I'm talking about) was 15.4 and my first meter reading the next morning was 488!  Definitely in the danger zone.  Mary, my nurse practitioner, decided it was time that I be put on insulin.  I both wanted this and didn't because even though I've had dozens of people tell me that little needle is painless I simply did not believe them.  As it happens, they are all correct, it does not hurt 99% of the time.  Every once in a while I will hit a nerve directly and there will be a brief and minor stinging sensation.  My diabetes is now under good control and I am feeling 100% better.  I am working on saving my life!  Oh yeah, my ear has cleared up and I am hearing quite well.

There's not a lot of news to report about Bluegrass, but I'll tell you what I know.  If you like jazzy flavored acoustic music (Are you listening Wally & Tim?) Missy Raines & The New Hip will be at the Kenbridge Community Center on January 29th, 2011.  Call WSVS radio in Crewe for ticket information.  Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.  I am not a huge fan of jazzy Bluegrass, but Missy is simply the best acoustic base player on the planet and it would be an huge error in judgement for me not to attend this performance.  Check out Missy on Facebook here.

January is right around the corner and that means the Appomattox Bluegrass Series will soon commence.  I haven't heard from promoter Kelly Smith in Appomattox yet, but I'm sure she will get in touch and I'll let you know all about the concerts early next month.

It's the Christmas season and I know you don't have a lot of time to read blogs, so I'll make this one short and wish all of you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"NUFF SAID!"

No comments: