Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Bluegrass Ramble, July 15th, 2009 - Dead Right! Maybe Not!

Before I get into the meat of this article I wanted to share two things with you.  First, this article will not have one iota of information about Bluegrass, but I think you will know me better after you have read it.  Second, my computer’s power supply burned out just prior to my weekend at the Sedalia Bluegrass Festival, which by the way was very nice.  I was without a computer for about three weeks.  Obviously, I’m back in business now.

I have a pet peeve.  Oh, I actually have more than one pet peeve, but this one came to light in a strong way just last week.  It concerns closed lanes approaching construction zones along the highway.  Usually, for about 3 or 4 miles before reaching the actual work zone, there will be signs warning that (for example) the right lane will be closed ahead.  I and most of the drivers on the road will heed those signs and move over to the left lane well ahead of the actual construction.  Certainly if everyone did this getting by the construction would be easy and fast.  There are those, however, who feel that they are privileged and will stay in the right lane all the way up to the work zone and then want the drivers in the left lane to let them in.  This has caused me to get extremely angry and to use rather crusty language and to gesticulate using the central digit of my right or even left hand.  There have been times when I have seen these cars streaming by in the soon to be closed lane and I've gotten so angry that I will actually get out in that lane and try to block those cars from passing if I can.  Because of these inconsiderate drivers the open lane becomes very slow as considerate (but mis-guided) drivers up at the actual merge point allow those inconsiderate ones into the lane.  So, here I sit for 20 minutes or more inching along because these drivers are causing my lane to barely move.

Now, this brings me to my experience just last week.  I had no more entered onto I-85 from US 460, when I found myself in a long line of traffic.  The left lane was closed ahead and we were slowly making our way toward the construction zone.  On this particular day there were very few drivers rushing ahead in the “closed” lane, so progress was fairly fast.  Just as I was entering the area where the actual construction was happening this car sped up beside me and tried to get in front of me.  I jockeyed and sped up and jammed on brakes and did everything I could to prevent him from getting up in front of me, all the while saying things like $%^&$%^*&*($%^$% or #$^$%^&&(*(*^&$%.  Rather salty and crusty words, to be sure. I was so angry that my blood pressure was most certainly cranked up and I trembled.  I was able to prevent him from getting in front of me and felt smug about my success, but as I looked back in my rearview mirror at the driver he was gesticulating at me and his mouth was moving animatedly.  I’m guessing there was some crusty language being sent my way, too.

As we passed out of the construction zone and both lanes opened up, this guy came by me rather slowly and enthusiastically gesticulated in my direction using the central digit of his right hand and continued to do so as he sped away.  This got me to thinking.  Did I actually win the construction lane battle?  Was it worth it?  This fellow could have easily had a handgun and I could be dead right now.  I’ve thought a lot about that little war and have decided to be less aggressive in the future.  I will let the driver in and simply resign myself to the fact that people will not always behave the way I would like them to.  To be sure, this lane closure thing will remain a pet peeve, but I will not risk my life being “right.”  It’s good to be right but what good is “dead right?”

"Nuff Said"

No comments: