Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bluegrass At Sedalia, 2009 June 25th, 26th and 27th - Big Island, Virginia

The James River Bluegrass Association and The Sedalia Center for the Cultural Arts present “Bluegrass At Sedalia, 2009.”   If you remember the festivals of 30 years ago you might feel you have stepped back in time when attending festival at Sedalia.  What do I mean?  I certainly do not mean the days when drinking and drug use rampaged through the festival grounds and children were in danger.  No!  I mean there was a certain togetherness back in those days with campers all close together and it seemed you knew everyone around you.  It feels that way at Sedalia.  When you get there you’ll see what I mean.

The bands playing at Sedalia are: Black Bear Express, Blackwater, The Bluegrass Brothers, The Deer Creek Boys, FaithRidge, Hard Drivin’ Grass, High Ground, Kinney Rorrer & The New North Carolina Ramblers, Mark Templeton & Pocket Change, Reed Creek and Smith Mountain Grass.

Camping at Sedalia is on a first come first served basis with the campground opening June 21st.  Electrical hook-ups are limited and run $40 for the three nights of the festival.  rough camping is $5 per night.  

One of the neat things about Sedalia is the entirely covered concert area.  It seems not matter how hot the day the stage area is comfortable and much cooler than the the area around it.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret.  When I was a kid my Mama used to make “fried pies.”  Fried pies are
made using dried fruit that has been reconstituted and places on one half of a round piece of pie crust that is then folded over and crimped closed and then pan fried to a deep golden brown.  Last year I saw a guy eating what looked to me just like a fried pie.  I asked him where he got it and sure enough this lady had brought over a large bunch of peach and apple fried pies.  They were so good I bought a dozen to take home with me.  Mmmm, Mmmmm!  They were good! Other foods at Sedalia include BBQ ribs and chicken cooked right on the premises.  I’ve got to tell you if you want any of this wonderful BBQ you better line up when they start emptying the grill.
Order $40 advance tickets by writing 1108 Sedalia School Road, Big Island, VA 24526 or by calling 434-299-5080 or check out their website at www.sedaliacenter.org.  Maybe I’ll see you there.

No comments: