Thursday, October 9, 2008

First Post IBMA

At the urging of a friend I have chosen to begin this blog. My interests lie cheifly in the field of Bluegrass music, however I may take a few side trips along the way.

I just arrived home from a glorius 10 day trip to Nashville TN to participate in the International Bluegrass Music Association's (IBMA) World of Bluegrass. I not only spent 7 days sans automobile enjoying everything IBMA has to offer, but I also took a few Bluegrass related sojurns before the main event. On Friday, September 26th, I drove up to Owensboro, Kentucky to visit the International Bluegrass Music Museum (IBMM). There have been a few changes since my last visit and I found the museum to be enlightening and enjoyable. While there I was allowed to tag along on a guided tour and came away a bit disappointed. I have spent the better part of my adult life immersed in Bluegrass and believe myself to be somewhat learned on the subject. The gentleman who hosted the tour (Or his script) had some basic flaws and innacuracies in the presentation. I suppose to the novice, just learning about Bluegrass for the first time, it is easier to gloss over certain facts in order to present a smooth flowing program, but to someone like myself, the errors were glaring. Still I enjoyed my stay and was happy to see the Director of the IBMM, my friend Gabrielle Gray while there.

Theres more to tell you, but the hour is late. More later.

No comments: